Batata vada is popular street food of Maharastra. You found this tempting vada at almost every chat vender’s stall in Maharastra state. It is made of spicy felling of potato coated with chick-pea batter and deep fried. It is crispy from outside and soft from inside.
It can be served as evening snack or starter. It generally served with green coriander chutney or sweet chutney.
Batata vada (step by step with photos)
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes | Cooking Time: 10 Minutes | Total Time: 30 Minutes
Serves: Makes 12 vadas
7 medium size Potato boiled
2 tablespoon Green chilly and ginger paste
1 tablespoon Red chilly powder
1 tablespoon Coriander powder
pinch of Turmeric powder
1 teaspoon Garam masala
1 medium size Onion finely chopped
1 teaspoon Lemon juice
1 teaspoon Oil
salt to taste
1 cup Chick-pea flour (gram flour)
1/2 tea spoon Red chilly powder
1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
pinch of Baking soda
Water as required
salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
1) Peel boiled potato and mash them with the help of masher.
2) Add all seasoning in the mixture.
3) Heat 1 teaspoon oil in pan and add onion and ginger -green chilly paste in that and saute for few seconds.
4) Now add that in potato mixture and mix well.
5) Make small balls out of that mixture.
6) Take Chick-pea flour, red chilly powder,coriander powder,backing soda and salt in one bowl.
7) Add water in that and make smooth batter from it.
8) Heat Oil for deep frying. Deep each potato ball in batter and coated well with hands.
9) Then drop balls in hot oil and fry till it becomes golden brown.
10) Take out vada from pan and serve hot with green chutney or sweet chutney.