Gor keri nu Athanu (Sweet Mango Pickle)
Gor keri is sweet and spicy Pickle from Gujarat.Traditionally for gor keri- Row mango pieces mixed with jaggery and spices and then sun dried for few days until the jaggery melts.It goes well with thepla,bhakhari,khakhra and even with plain roti.The pickle last up to a year when store in a cool and dry space (no need to refrigerate).There is another method for gor keri too but today I am sharing traditional mathod.
Gor Keri Nu Athanu (Step by Step with Photos)
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 7-8 days
2 kg Row Mango
2 Kg Jaggery (gol)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
For Pickle Masala
200 gm Crushed coriander seeds (dhana na kuriya)
100 gm Crushed Mustard seeds (rai na kuriya)
150 gm Crushed Fenugreek seeds (methi na kuriya)
50 gm Red chilly powder
4 tablespoon Mustard oil
1 tablespoon Asafoetida (hing)
Salt to taste
1) Cut the raw mangoes in to medium size pieces.
2) Add salt and turmeric powder in that and mix well.
3) Spread it on a dry cloth and keep it for 1 day.
4) Next Mix all the ingredients of pickle masala in large bowl. then add jaggary in it and mix well.
5) Now add mango pieces in that and mix well.
6) Cover the bowl with muslin cloth (any cotton cloth) and close tightly.
7) place it in dry place or in sunlight for at least 7 to 8 days or until jaggary melts completely. Every two days mix the pickle in between.
8) Store it in a glass jar in cool and dry place.
1) You can use ready made sweet achar masala for this recipe. you will need 500gm masala for this measurement.
2) You can use sugar instead of jaggary .