Idli is very popular snack of Indian Cuisine generally served with Sambhar (lentil soup) and Chutney (dip). Idli is a traditional breakfast made in every south Indian household. It is made by steaming the batter made of rice and urad dal (white lentil). It is very healthy option for breakfast.
Now a days there are many variety of Idlis rice idli,poha idli,instant rava idli,ragi idli etc. Traditionally idli can be made in two ways. one is using par boiled rice and other is using idli rava. I used par boiled rice for this recipe.
Idli Recipe (step by step with photos)
Preparation Time: 16 hours | Cooking Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 16 hours and 20 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5 servings
2 cup par boiled Rice
1/2 cup Urad dal (white lentil)
1/2 tsp Methi dana (Fenugreek seeds)
Water as required
Salt to taste
Oil for greasing
1) Rains rice, urad dal and methi 3-4 times with water. Now soak them in the water separately for 4-5 hours.
2) Drain excess water from soaked rice and grind it in grinder .
3) Now drain excess water from soaked urad dal and mathi and grind them.
4) Mix Rice and urad dal paste and add water in that to make a thick batter form it. Now cover the batter with plate and keep it in warm place for fermentation for 8- 10 hours.
5) After the fermentation the batter will become double in size and rise. then add salt and mix well.
6) Pour 1-2 glass of water in steamer and place it over stove to heat. Meanwhile grease the idli molds with oil and pour the batter in it.
7) Place idli molds in steamer and steam idli for 10-12 minutes.
8) Insert a knife in idli if it comes out clean, idlis are ready , if it doesn’t then steam it for 3-4 minutes and check again.
9) Remove idli molds from steamer and let it cool for few minutes. then remove idli from molds and serve hot with chutney and sambhar.
1) Idli batter should not be so thick or thin, it should be like thick pouring consistency.
2) If you living in cold place then place the batter in preheated oven or microwave for fermentation.