Rava Dhokla Recipe (Step by Step Recipe with Photos)
Today I am making rava dhokla.It is a delicious soft and spongy snack prepared from Rava(Sooji,semolina), its generally served with chatney or Tomato katch-up.
Dhokla is traditional gujarati snack.Traditional white dhokla is made from rice and split urad dal and its very lengthy process.However, this recipe does not need any fermentation, so its very quick and easy option for your morning breakfast.This is healthy snack as it is steamed and very less oil is used to make tempering.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes |Cooking Time:20 minutes | Total Time : 30 Minutes
Serves: 3 servings
1 cup Sooji (semolina)
1 cup sour Curd
1/2 cup Water
1 tablespoon Eno
1 tablespoon + 1 tablespoon cooking oil
salt to taste
1 tablespoon Oil
1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon Sesame seeds
1 small Green chilli (finely chopped)
5 to 6 Curry leaves
1) Take Sooji in a bowl and add curd, finely chopped green chilli,ginger paste and salt. Mix it well so all the sooji is moistened and becomes thick paste. let it rest for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
2) Add a glass of water in steamer and let it come to a boil. Grease the dhokla tray with oil.
3) When everything is ready then add eno in to dhokla batter.Immediately stir it. Do not stir too much otherwise eno’s bubble effect will go away.
4) Pour the batter into prepared tray. Steam it for 15 minutes over medium flame.
5) After 15 minutes, insert knife or toothpick in it and check. If it comes out clean then it is ready.if not then steam it for 3-4 minutes more.
6) Now take out trays from steamer and let it cool for 5-6 minutes. Then cut prepared dhokla in to small squares.
7) Heat one tablespoon oil in small pan for tempering.Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds in it.when they begin to crackle,add sesame seeds,green chilli and curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
8) Pour prepared tempering over rava dhoklas and serve hot with green chatni or tomato ketchup.
1) Steam on a medium flame to make them spongy.
2) Don’t keep batter idle for a long time after adding Eno.
3) You can use 1/2 teaspoon cooking soda in place of Eno in this recipe.
4) Add grated carrot,cabbage and capsicum in batter to make healthy vegetable dhokla.
5) It is very good option for kid’s lunchbox.