Khatta dhokla is very famous Gujarati dish in India. It is steamed multigrain savory cake which is made from rice, chana dal (gram lentil) and urad dal (black lentil). It has very spongy and soft texture.
It required fermentation for sour taste and fluffiness in dhokla. It takes 7 to 8 hours for fermentation. I make dhokla from home made dhokla flour, it will save time. I used sour yogurt or butter milk for best result. It generally served with garlic chutney and sesame seed oil.
You can serve it as breakfast or as side dish in dinner. In my family we enjoyed only dhokla as a light dinner.
I also make other verity of dhokla like Rava Dhokla, Nylon Khaman Dhokla at home.
Khatta Dhokla (step by step with photos)
Preparation Time: 8 Hours |Cooking Time: 10-12 Minutes| Total Time: 8 Hours and 10 Minutes
Serves: 4 serving
2 cup Dhokla flour (1 cup rice ,1 cup chana dal, 2 tablespoon urad dal)
1 cup Sour yogurt
1 teaspoon Chana dal(Gram lentil)
1 teaspoon Methi Seeds
2 cup Warm water
2 tablespoon Garlic,Ginger and green chilly paste
2 tablespoon Freshly chopped Coriander leaves
Pinch of Turmeric powder (optional)
1 tablespoon Red chilly powder
Pinch of Asofotida
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
Salt to taste
1) Mix chana dal and methi seeds in dhokla flour and add sour yogurt and water in that. Let it fermented for at least 7-8 hours.
2) Then add all the seasoning in the better and mix well.
3) Add water in steamer and let it come to boil. Mean while grease the dish.
4) Now pour better in dish and steam it for 10 to 12 minutes on medium heat.
5) Insert knife in dhokla and check if it comes out clean dhokla is ready if its not then steam it for 2 minutes.
6) Take out dhokla and cut it in to square pieces.
7) Serve hot dhokla with garlic chutney or green coriander chutney.
1) Add tampering on dhokla and it will become very good option for kids tiffin.
2) Instead of Baking soda you can use Ino in this recipe.