Khichadi is delicious and healthy dish from Indian cuisine. It is comfort food made with rice and lentil. It is one pot dish and easy to digest. It can be made in many different ways and with various ingredients. Khichadi can be made in deep pot, pressure cooker or in electric rice cooker.
In this recipe I add spices and vegetables with two lentils. you can take only one lentil if you want. It could be best served with riata and papad. I used basmati rice for this recipe but you can take any type of rice.
Basmati Rice 1 cup
Moong dal 1/2 cup
Arhar dal 1/2 cup
Onion (chopped) 1
Potato (diced) 1
Green peas 1/4 cup
Raw peanuts 1 table spoon
Ginger Garlic and chilly paste 1 table spoon
Cinnamon stick 1 inch
Cardamom 2 to 3
Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon
Cumin seeds 1 tea spoon
Turmeric powder 1/2 tea spoon
Red Chilly powder 1 table spoon
Cumin-coriander powder 1 table spoon
Garam masala powder 1 tea spoon
Salt to taste
Oil 2 table spoon
Water 5 cups
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes | Cooking Time: 15 Minutes | Total Time: 20 Minutes
Serves: 4 serving
1. Take moong dal, arhar dal and basmati rice in one bowl. Wash them 2 to 3 times and soak it for 10 minutes. Meanwhile cut onion and potato.
2. Heat pressure cooker and add oil in it. Then add mustard seeds, cumin seeds in it.
3. When seeds creaked add cloves, cardamom and cinnamon in it and sauté.
4.Then add ginger, garlic and chilly paste and peanuts. Add onion and sauté for 1 minute.
5. After that add vegetables and other spices in it and cook for half minute.
6. Add 5 cups of water in it and pressure cook it for 5 whistles.
7. Add some coriander and serve hot with riata.
1 You can take only moong dal or vice a versa.
2 You can add any vegetables as per your choice.
3 Add 2 to 3 table spoon Ghee in Khichadi after its done.