Dahi vada is a delicious snack where lentil dumplings are dunked in yogurt and topped with sweet and spicy chutney. There are many versions of Dahi vada like North Indian, South Indian, Gujarati etc. In North India, there is another version of dahi vada and they are called as dahi bhalle. In dahi bhalle papadi (fried flour crisps), boiled potato cubes are added which gives it different taste. Generally split urad dal (split black gram)is used to make dahi vada but I used split green moong dal (split green gram).
Moong dal Dahi vada (step by step with photos)
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes | Cooking Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 35 Minutes
Serves: 4 -5 servings
1 cup Moong dal (split green gram with skin)
1 ench Ginger
3-4 Green chilly
1 teaspoon Roasted Cumin seeds powder
1teaspoon Red chilly powder
pinch of asofotida
1 teaspoon Backing soda
Salt to taste
2 cup Yogurt (whisked)
1 teaspoon Sugar
Salt to taste
Green Coriander chutney
Tamarind and dates sweet chutney
Red chilly powder
Roasted cumin seeds powder
Fresh chopped Coriander leaves
1) Soak the moong dal for at least 4-5 hours. Drain water.
2) In mixture grinder take moong dal then add ginger and chilies in that and grind it to make a batter.
3) Now add red chilly powder,cumin seed powder,asofotida, salt and backing soda in that and mix well.
4) Heat oil for deep frying. Either drop the batter with your hands or with a spoon in medium hot oil and fry the vadas until golden brown and crispy.
5) Take out from the oil and then transfer vadas in water and let them soak for 5-6 minutes.
6) Take them out from water and press gently between your palms and remove excess water and oil.
7) In one bowl mix yogurt,sugar and salt and mix well.
8) Place vadas in serving plate and topped with dahi, spicy chutney,sweet chutney. And sprinkle red chilly powder, cumin seeds powder over it for serving.
1) Don’t soak vadas in water for so much time other wise it will break.
2) Yogurt should be chilled for better taste.
3) You can add fruits like pineapple,grapes,pomegranate in yogurt to enhance the taste.