Lentil fritters is very popular snack in all over India. The term Vadas are used in south India for fritters, where as in North they are known as pakoras. In west India, the term that is used are bhajiyas. Vadas can made from variety of lentils.
Moong dal vada is very tempting snack in rainy season. It is made from skinned split green gram and little bit of black gram.
Moong dal vada (step by step with photos)
Preparation Time: 6 hours and 15 minutes | Cooking Time:15 Minutes| Total Time: 6 hours and 30 minutes
Serves: 20 vadas
2 cup Moong dal (skinned split green gram)
2 tablespoon Urad dal (split black gram)
1 tablespoon Red chilly powder
2 Inch Ginger
5-6 Green chilly
pinch of Asofotida
1 teaspoon Backing soda
Water as required
Salt to taste
Fried green chillies and onion slices for serving
1) Soak moong dal and urad dal for at least 5-6 hours. Drain water.
2) In a mixture grinder take moong dal, urad dal then add chillies, gralic and ginger in that and grind it to make a batter.
3) Now add red chilly powder, salt, backing soda and asofotida in that and mix well.
4) Heat oil for deep frying. Either drop the batter with your hand or with a spoon in medium hot oil and fry the vadas until golden brown and crispy.
5) Take out Vadas from oil and serve hot with fried green chillies and onions.